19 January 2015

Climbing the English pyramid




I’ve written on my Facebook page before about the Daily Quipple subscriber’s list- reading the inspirational quotes and messages they design can be an uplifting start to the day. When this one found its way into my inbox sometime in the new year, I liked it so much I set it as my screensaver.


Although it’s something I know that I personally should pay heed to, I also believe that it’s a mantra that could be adhered to by many EFL teachers. We all try our best to create and use new materials and teaching approaches to keep our students motivated and interested, but sometimes it seems like it just isn’t working. Students get tongue-tied, stuck on a grammar point or lost in a vocabulary maze and end up feeling like they're smacking into a brick wall, no matter your efforts to help them climb over it. So many of my students have complained to me that they feel like they’ve been learning English for years and still haven’t got anywhere, which is why I like to stop every so often and ask them “how’s your English”? It’s difficult, and sometimes uncomfortable, to self-evaluate your performance in any aspect of life, whether it’s English language skills or other, however I’ve found that it really helps students to have a clearer idea of what progress they’ve made and where they want to go.
  • Using a metaphorical ‘English pyramid’, students identify where they were on the pyramid (their self-perceived level of English) when they started the course/semester/level, etc., where they are now and where they want to be in the future.
  • If they were climbing a real pyramid, then there are certain elements that might help or hinder them, so in the next stage students discuss together what things help them learn English (i.e. watching films) and what delays their learning progress (i.e. lack of time).
  • Finally, students decide three English learning goals and put together an action plan. I usually use this with my business English students, therefore I’ve put together a plan similar to one used in project management, which incorporates possible risks and back-up plans. The familiarity of such a document is reassuring and can help students address their goals with more focus and clarity. If you aren’t working with business English students, here are a few other ideas for the final stage:

                  1.  The Rule of 2: Students identify English goals for the next 2 weeks, 2 months and 2 years. I usually give them my own example, such as in 2 weeks I want to know all my new students’ names by heart, in 2 months I want to have marked all the intermediate level projects and in 2 years I want to have published my own materials. 
                 2.  By the end of the semester, I…: Students write down a goal for the semester on a piece of paper. Try to make it as specific as possible, so instead of I want to speak English better encourage students to write I want to complete a phone call in English. For lower levels you may prefer to do this in L1. Collect all the strips of paper and set a date later in the semester to review all the goals. Tell students not to write their name on the paper. When you review the goals, have each student select a strip of paper and read it out to see if students can remember which goal was theirs and evaluate whether they have achieved it (or not).   

DOWNLOAD the Powerpoint here 

DOWNLOAD the worksheet here

No comments:

Post a Comment